September 12, 2012 at 4:08 pm
by Christina Tynan-Wood
My husband and I just got back from a fabulous “mini-break” from the kids, work, pets, and house. We stayed in a luxurious boutique hotel, the Vendue Inn in Charleston, South Carolina, where we enjoyed a suite with a fireplace in the heart of the city. It was one of the most deluxe hotel rooms I’ve ever stayed in. And it did wonders for our stress level and relationship.
I know what you’re thinking. “Nice if you can afford it.” But that’s just the thing. When it comes to travel, I’m a bargain shopper. I never pay retail. And I didn’t pay retail this time. If we would have paid retail, this hotel would have cost nearly $300 per night. But we got a deal through LivingSocial.com and paid only $205 for two nights. I’ve paid that much to crash at a hotel that made me cringe. You can’t pick your destination or the hotel you want to stay at through a daily deal site like LivingSocial.com. But, if you are flexible and just want a little getaway somewhere (or even a big adventure at a bargain price) you can probably find a bargain by keeping an eye on the “Escapes.”
If you are planning some fall travel and don’t have time to wait for a deal to pop up that way, I have some tips for you sent to me by travel expert and co-founder of GetaRoom.com Bob Diener. Diener suggests that fall is a great time to travel because it’s not as crowded or hot as it is in the summer. That was certainly true in Charleston. That city can get steamy in the summer months. But it was long-walk cool when we were there, which made walking around our favorite activity. (Walking is healthy and cheap!)
Bob’s Tips for Getting a Deal on Fall Travel
“Travel during the fall is an ideal time to enjoy many fun destinations at a discount,” said Robert B. Diener, President and Co-Founder of Getaroom.com. “During mid-week, many popular spots such as Las Vegas can be enjoyed without the hassles of stressed-out summer vacationers. We recommend Getaroom.com’s unpublished rate program to secure great rates at the best fall vacation spots.”
- Enjoy Miami where hotels such as the Chesterfield in South Beach are as low as $89 a night with free Wi-Fi and free airport pickup.
- Mid-week rates in Las Vegas are incredibly low in the fall, especially in later November and early December. Book a five-star hotel for around $120 a night.
- Visit Vermont or New Hampshire for beautiful fall foliage and crisp temperatures.
- Travel to Europe can be a great deal during the fall, with a strong dollar, weak European economies, and a lot of availability. Four-star hotels in London such as the Hyde Park Premier are available at a steep discount after the Olympics.
- Disney World is a lot less crowded during the fall, with hotels in Orlando going for 60% peak pricing.
- Want Internet on your flight at a cheaper rate? Visit gogoair.com for a 15% savings.
- Getaroom offers an unpublished rate program that allows travelers to secure up to 25% off the lowest rate that can be found anywhere else.
- Pack light to avoid baggage fees during your fall trip, you can always buy essential items while at your destination.
- Cruises are often cheaper during the fall, especially for those travelers that aren’t worried about getting a tan.
- New York City is always a popular travel spot, so be sure to book early for the best prices. Getaroom.com features many ideal NYC hotels at special rates such as the Helmsley Park Lane.