May 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm
by Irina Gonzalez
I think I’m a bit obsessed right now. After writing about the healthy Mexican favorites I’m going to be cooking up this weekend for Cinco de Mayo, I started looking through some more of our Slow Cooker Chronicles for Mexican recipe inspiration. That’s when I came across Heather’s slow cooker drunken pork carnitas recipe, one of her first from last Fall, and inspiration struck me big time.
Inspired by her beer-infused delicious-sounding tacos, I started to think about what other kind of liquors I could use to spice up the flavor of some of my slow cooker meals this weekend. And that’s when it hit me: tequila! What better way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo than by not only eating a great Mexican dish but also adding in some great Mexican liquor? I think this is an absolutely perfect way to celebrate with a little bit to drink–without actually having a drink. Try one of these recipes and you’re sure to have a very happy Cinco de Mayo indeed.
1. Citrusy Tequila Chicken Thighs: I really love experimenting with converting recipes for the slow cooker with our easy tips and making these chicken thighs, which our Slow Cooking expert Michael always recommends are best for the crock-pot.
2. Slow Cooker Tequila Lime Chili: Although chili is typically a winter-time treat, I think it makes an absolutely delicious lunch in the summer as well. The addition of lime, along with a slice of buttered toast, makes this one a definitely warm-weather favorite.
3. Slow Cooker Tequila Lime Pork BBQ Sliders: Is there a better way to celebrate summer than with sliders? And when you make them the pork BBQ kind, along with some great tequila, then you definitely can’t lose with this sure-to-be-a-favorite recipe.
4. Crock-pot Tequila Sunrise Spiced Shrimp Couscous: When you’re looking for a quicker-than-usual slow cooker recipe that is both healthy, delicious and takes minimal effort, then look no further than this spicy shrimp couscous creation.
5. Slow Cooker Tequila-Lime Shredded Beef: I’ve actually been in a bit of a red meat mood lately, mainly because I’ve been feeling low on iron, and this crock-pot meal with beef, along with a tequila and lime infusion is pretty much exactly what I’ve been craving.
6. Slow Cooker Haymitch’s Drunk Chicken: This is the recipe that makes every fiber of my being shake in giddiness. If you aren’t a fan of The Hunger Games, then you probably don’t get it–but trust me when I say this recipe is the best thing since sliced bread.
Have you ever made a slow cooker recipe with liquor? Did you try Heather’s Drunken Pork Carnitas or are you excited to try one of these tequila-infused slow cooker recipes for Cinco de Mayo? Share your suggestions in the comments below!