May 23, 2012 at 6:39 pm
by Irina Gonzalez
It’s officially the start of summer in just a few short days. With Memorial Day just around the corner, I’m dreaming up what dishes I would like to make as soon as I bring out my grill. However, I don’t want to completely stop using my slow cooker so I’m devising a plan: I’ll be making side dishes to go along with my best summer BBQ favorites! There’s a bunch of different ways for me to serve up some summer slow cooker meals and I think this is the perfect way to start. Sure, I can make my favorites on the grill–but my other favorites will be right next to me, coming from my slow cooker and pleasing the whole family as usual.
1. Slow Cooker Seafood Pesto Pasta: Starting out with something as light as a pasta dish on the side of your BBQ ribs is the perfect way to begin your summer celebration right.
2. Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese: I know I’ve written about this one before but, seriously, is there anything better than good old fashioned macaroni and cheese? I didn’t think so.
3. Slow Cooker Cheesy Vegetable Polenta: Polenta is a dish that I have just discovered and I’m really in love with it. This cheesy and veggie version is simply great for summer.
4. Slow Cooker Eggplant Caponata: This dish is actually kind of perfect as either a side dish, served on top of crunchy bread, or even as an appetizer at your summer party.
5. Slow Cooker Molasses Baked Beans: Well, who doesn’t love baked beans? This sweet variety is simply delectable and will be perfect alongside any of your favorites.
6. Slow Cooker Ratatouille: This veggie side dish has been a favorite of mine for the last few months, so I’ll be making it again as a dish this summer because I love it so much.
Do you like to make slow cooker sides for your summer parties? Will you make one of these dishes this year? Share in the comments below!