May 28, 2012 at 12:00 pm
by Irina Gonzalez
Last night I was making a simple pasta salad for a beach day today and it got me thinking about gatherings in the summer. It’s no secret that this is the best time of the year to get together with friends and family. Usually this all revolves around grilling and barbecuing (cause, really, who doesn’t love that?), but sometimes the amount of calorie-heavy food can be intense.
So as I was preparing my spiral pasta, tomato, cucumber and bell pepper salad (with a little lemon juice, olive oil and salt & pepper), I started to think about the other healthy dishes that you can make during summer festivities. From making a healthier burger to a filling side dish to even a healthy and delicious new take on a classic summer-time dessert, these are just a few of my favorites to make sure that I stay healthy without missing out on all of the fun this season.
1. Mango Salsa: Starting a party with salsa is a classic, but this mango salsa is even better. It’s a little sweet and the beans make it slightly filling, so you can enjoy a healthy version that’ll satisfy.
2. 3-Bean Caprese Salad: A caprese salad is a summer classic but this version with 3 different kind of beans makes an excellent side dish and can even be the majority of your meal.
3. Mojito-Marinated Swordfish with Avocado Chopped Salad: If you don’t want to miss out on the grill but want a healthier option, go for this delicious swordfish and salad filled with healthy fats.
4. Iman’s Turkey Burgers: Turkey burgers are a great, healthier option in the summer time because they leaner than red meat but still provide the flavor you’re looking for in a summer meal.
5. Strawberry Banana S’mores: What’s a party without some dessert? This fruity take on classic s’mores are better than the original thanks to the pairing of two favorites. Plus, the addition of zero-calorie fruit makes it a not-too-bad take on a sweet treat.
Are you planning to make easy party food this summer? Will you be celebrating the weekends with family and friends, while still keeping healthy? Share with us in the comments below!