September 25, 2012 at 12:30 pm
by Jennifer Moncayo
If you’re hosting a party, a cheese platter is a great way to wow your guests. (Plus, they’ll love the snacks!) Here’s how to create a gorgeous spread in a snap.
- Plan on 3 to 5 ounces of cheese per guest and anywhere from three to five varieties. Aim for a contrast of tastes, textures and shapes—mild to strong, soft and hard, rounds and wedges—so there’s something for everyone.
- Apples, pears and grapes pair well with most cheeses, as do dried dates, apricots and figs.
- Add crunch with toasted walnuts, pecans or almonds.
- Include small ramekins filled with honey, chutney or marmalade and small spoons for drizzling.
- Let cheeses sit at room temperature for at least two hours before serving to bring out their full flavor.
- Choose unsalted crackers sturdy enough for spreads.
For the ultimate presentation, be sure to place your spread on a sleek cheese board. Here are 6 of our favorite cheese boards under $50!
The Cellar Serveware, Acacia Wood Cheese Board with Knife Set This is the James Bond of cheese boards. From the modern dark finish of the wood to the hidden layer that swivels out to reveal your knife kit. It’s a fun statement piece for your next get-together. Available at Macys.com, $36.
Core Bamboo Cheesy Cheese Board Cheese please! This organically-grown bamboo board features an adorable cheese wedge design, along with an embellished “Cheese” knife. Available at Kohls.com, $35.
Pear-Shaped Cheese Board with Knives and Cork This pear-shaped board is both cute and eco-friendly. Made of rubberwood, the board features a swivel-out drawer that holds a hard cheese knife, cheese fork, and fork-tipped cheese knife. Available at Bedbathandbeyond.com, $40.
Boska Holland Taste Large Cheese Board This solid rosewood board is perfect for presenting and cutting your favorite fromage. Available at Kohls.com, $35.
Kitchen Aid 3-piece Cheese Board Set (8″ x 12″) Made from beautiful bamboo, this oval cheese board has three indentations to hold slices of cheese and crackers. The board also comes with two cheese knives making it a great deal! Available at Target.com, $30.
Beechwood Round Contoured Cheese Tray with Slicer Guests can get slice-happy with the built-in cheese cutter that makes perfectly even slices. This budget-friendly board features a horseshoe-shaped well for crackers and space for cheeses and fruits. Available at Target.com, $24.
Jennifer Moncayo is a web assistant at FamilyCircle.com.